The band program at Bryan Station High School has a proud tradition of representing our school in community, city, state, and national events and preparing our students to appreciate and engage with music throughout their adult lives.
Our band program is set up as a co-curricular program, meaning:
- Band is considered to be an academic, graded class as part of the school day. Weighted credit is awarded as well.
- Band also includes, and requires, after school commitments such as rehearsals, concerts, and parades.
At Bryan Station, our band program is designed to allow students to participate in other school activities, including athletics, drama, academic team, student government, and other extra-curricular options. This is only possible through communication between band directors, coaches, activity sponsors, and families.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Is marching band required?
A: While we strongly encourage all band members to participate in the marching band, it is not required. As our marching band is a collegiate style group, our focus is on community performances and football games. The time commitment to marching band at BSHS is significantly less than other programs that focus on competition.
Marching Band is FUN at BSHS!
Q: Do I have to attend band camp?
A: All students who want to be in the marching band must attend band camp. Exceptions are made for students involved in other academic summer opportunities, such as Governor’s Scholars and Governor’s School for the Arts. Students who play a fall sport and wish to participate with the marching band should work with Mr. Payne to develop a rehearsal schedule plan.
Q: How much money does it cost to be in band?
A: There are several expenses that we ask families to cover. They include:
- Class fee – $25 (Per band class)
- Covers required band method books and sheet music rental
- Instrument Rental Fee – $25 per semester
- Required for anyone who needs a school instrument, including percussion
- Uniform Fee – $100
- Students will receive a T-Shirt, shorts, baseball hat, and a hoodie.
- Band Shoes: $40 – These can be used for multiple seasons, not required to purchase every year.
- Optional Fees: Honor Band Auditions and Participation, Band Jacket, Spirit Wear
Q: Why are Bryan Station’s Band fees so low?
A: We want all students who wish to play an instrument at Bryan Station to be in our program. Our mission is student and family centered – we simply choose to do things a little differently. Please consider upgrading your student’s instrument to a more advanced model or enrolling your student in private lessons with money saved on band fees. This will advance your student further and make our overall program better!
Q: Does the Bryan Station Marching Band participate in band contests?
A: Our bands at Bryan Station are focused on producing the highest quality pre-collegiate musical experience and the best entertainment for our athletic event performances. We also promote student participation in athletics and other school activities. We do not compete in band contests.
That said, our students will absolutely compete for All District, All State, and other individual honors band opportunities. We also compete for invitations to prestigious festivals, conferences, and parades. We will always compete to be our very best at everything we do.